Asparagus is one of my favourite vegetables. When spring comes around and fresh asparagus starts popping up at my local market, I’m always super excited to start incorporating it into my meals again after a hiatus over the winter. It is low in calories and a great source of dietary fibre, folate, B-vitamins, vitamins C, K, E and A as well as containing good minerals such as copper, iron and potassium. Yes, it makes your pee stink. But who cares! It’s so nutritious and delicious if it’s prepared well.
This is a super tasty and easy dish to make if you’re after a scrumptious side to accompany your main or even as a starter on its own. There are very few ingredients and it can be prepared in next to no time at all.
3 bunches of asparagus
3 tbsps olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 fresh lemon, squeezed
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/4 teaspoon onion or garlic powder
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
Dash of salt
1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees celcius.
2. Remove ‘firm’ ends of asparagus and cut into lengths of three.
3. Place them in a zip locked bag or plastic freezer bag and add olive oil, crushed garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper and let marinade for 15 minutes or more.
1. Remove asparagus from plastic bag and arrange onto a baking sheet in a single layer.
2. Sprinkle a very generous amount of parmesan over the asparagus (you will have some left over so store in the fridge for another time).
3. Bake in the pre-heated over for approximately 15 minutes or until asparagus is browning.
4. Plate up and enjoy!