Squishy, Squishy Konjac Sponges

The market for cruelty-free, vegan skincare products continues to grow and I am always excited to see products carrying the Leaping Bunny and Vegan Society symbols that are slightly out of the norm and the Konjac Sponge is just that – out of the norm. I came across the Konjac Sponge Company while stalking Instagram a couple of months ago and I was immediately intrigued by it. I am sure some of you have probably heard of it and I am really late to the party, but for those who haven’t, keep reading.

What is Konjac?

The Konjac is a strange and unusual potato-like root plant which can be found growing in tropical and subtropical environments at high altitude in certain areas of Asia. It has minimal environmental impact and is a highly sustainable plant. Also known as Devil’s Tongue, the Konjac has been eaten by the Japanese for over 1500 years. It is a totally natural food source with 97% of the plant being made up of water and the other 3% consisting of carbohydrates, protein, potassium, magnesium, sodium, iron, phosphorus, copper, fatty acid, folic acid, pantothenate, niacin, fibre and vitamins A, D, E, C, B1, B2, B6 and B12 (wow).

In some parts of Asia, the Konjac plant is cultivated for food and can be processed to make a tasteless flour used in many noodle dishes. The Konjac has also long been prized for its weight loss properties and is used widely in many weight loss supplements. Further, the tube of the Konjac plant is often used as a vegan substitute for gelatine.

28

What is a Konjac Sponge?

The Konjac Sponge is a totally eco-friendly vegetable fibre made for the face (and body) from the roots of the Konjac plant. It is 100% natural and contains no crappy chemicals, additives, colouring or preservatives, so sensitive skin peeps can rest assure it isn’t going to irritate their skin. A wet Konjac sponge is also alkaline, so it works well to restore the natural pH levels of your skin and neutralise acidic oils and impurities. These squishy little sponges are brilliant at removing dirt, oil and blackheads and are 100% biodegradable so can throw it in your compost or have burial for it in your garden if you want.DSC01715

The Konjac Sponge Company: Konjac Sponge with French Green Clay

How do you use the Konjac Sponge?

When you purchase a sponge, it is moist inside the packaging. One side of the sponge is flat, the other is a dome. To use, simply hold the sponge under warm water until it is soft and upon squeezing it no water comes out. The sponge will typically become one and a half times larger when it is soaked in water. Rub the sponge (I use either side) in circular motions all over your face and neck. It almost feels like you’re getting a massage, light exfoliation and cleanse at the same time. To get into problem areas where oil and blackheads tend to hang out, simply squeeze the sponge near the edge so it flattens out and allows you to get into the crevices in certain problem areas i.e around the nose. Either use the sponge on its own or add a little bit of cleanser to it. I’ve found that in the morning i’ll use the sponge on it’s own and at night, if i’ve had make up on, i’ll use the sponge on it’s own first, then add a small amount of cleanser and sponge my face again.Another idea is to soak the sponge in ice cold water in the morning and then cleanse your face with it. It makes your skin feel tight, toned and super fresh.

Once you’ve finished cleansing with the sponge, rinse it out, press the sponge between the palms of your hands to remove excess water and hang it on the string to air-dry. The sponge dries relatively quickly and turns hard so there is no need to worry about mould or bacteria growing on it. However, make sure you hang it in a dry place so it can’t come into any contact with dampness. To reuse, just hold the sponge under warm water until it goes soft again and then squeeze any excess water out. Easy! image

Overall, I think the Konjac Sponge is an absolutely brilliant product. I’m hooked and now use it as part of my everyday skincare routine. I’ve been using and recommend the Facial Puff Sponge with French Green Clay for normal to combination skin from The Konjac Sponge Company for almost six weeks now and it is part of my everyday skincare routine. My skin is smoother, my pores are cleaner and there is a luminous glow to my skins appearance. I’ve also found that my makeup is going on easier. Each sponge should last you approximately eight-twelve weeks if you take care of it however, i’ll be replacing mine every eight-ten weeks just to be safe. I hope you love it!

Head to www.thekonjacspongecompany.com for a list of stockists in your area OR order online direct from the site.

image

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *